The inter-war period

The footprint of the town, shown on the 1919 Ordnance Survey map, is not difficult to see: south of Oakland Road, roofed predominantly with slate brought in on the railway from Wales, development was confined to the flood plain and lower foothills on the northern side of the river following the river from the parish church to the eastern edge of town.

Leave a Reply